- In the 1960s, there were several doctors in Neepawa, each running their own private individual clinics. A joint venture clinic was sought out to increase efficiency. On February 23, 1970, the Neepawa Medical & Dental Clinic was opened by Dr. Bjorn Jakobson, Dr. Tom Dobson, and Dr. Del Dawson.
- Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, many physicians came and went, working in this clinic. Dr. George Ong came to Neepawa in 1979.
- The clinic partnership dissolved in 1984. Dr. Chapman went on to purchase the building, and Dr. Ong left in 1996 to run his own clinic.
- The Neepawa & Area Development Corporation (NADCO Ltd) purchased the clinic from Dr. David Chapman in August 2010. NADCO is funded by the Town of Neepawa, and the municipalities of Rosedale, North Cypress-Langford, and Glenella-Lansdowne.
- The Beautiful Plains Community Medical Clinic is the result of the consistent support of NADCO and the Town of Neepawa, as well as Dr. Ong’s vision for a community clinic focused on serving the community
- In 2012, plans were made for a clinic expansion. This resulted in the East wing that exists today, raising the number of examination rooms to ten. These renovations also included a new boardroom and an apartment suite in the basement, used almost continuously by visiting medical students and residents.
- In 2015, plans began for another clinic expansion. There has been community demand for improved parking and accessibility. As part of the planning, NADCO purchased the two houses south of the clinic, and one house east of the clinic.
- The clinic expansion began in spring 2018, following upgrades to the existing building. The proposed expansion will add another eight exam rooms as well as increased reception and seating space. This leads to a total of twenty medical consultation rooms, allowing for at least ten doctors to work out of the clinic.
- Today, BPCMC is run by a collaborative effort between physicians, the Clinic Board of Directors, NADCO, and the Neepawa & District Medical Committee. Operating costs are managed through monthly rental fees paid to NADCO from practicing physicians. There is no Health Region funding involved in clinic operations.
- In order to facilitate our mission and vision statements, a Recruitment & Retention Committee was formed in 2011. The committee’s function and success relies on the participation of our current physicians, support from our community and municipalities, and finally the involvement of the Regional health Authority, with all three bodies working and acting together towards a common goal. We would like to underscore the importance of community cooperation in the success of the BPCMC.
Beautiful Plains Medical Clinic to expand again - Neepawa Banner, May 2016